Nov 14, 2020

Caramelized Onions

I wanted to try making caramelized onions, so I had Elizabeth buy a 3lb bag of yellow onions on her last trip to the Commissary.  Here they are, all cut up and in the pan on the induction burner at our campsite just waiting to be turned into something wonderful.


My goal was to make up some caramelized onions and store them in the refrigerator for future use.  Maybe to spread them on some hamburgers or in a sandwich.  After about 40 minutes of cooking they looked real good.


 I cooked them for about an other 20 minutes and they were a nice even brown and tasted GREAT. Sorry I did not get a photo of them at that stage...  I remembered I had about two cups of drippings from when I smoked five pounds of beef cheeks.  I would have to call it smoked beef consommé as it was the consistency of gelatin.  I pulled it out of the refrigerator and dumped it with about two cups of water, about two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce (all we had) and about the same amount of apple cider vinegar in the pan and let it all heat up and get all friendly.


Elizabeth toasted up some day old hamburger buns and in the bowl it all went.  


We didn't have any cheese to put on top but it was outstanding anyway.  I had two bowls and cant wait to make it again...

Elizabeth did not like the beef cheeks as they were very fatty but the drippings made what I would call smoked french onion soup.  I do wish we had some cheese to top it off with.










No comments:

Post a Comment