Jul 18, 2020

Greased Lightning'

Just before we sold our home, it was time to grease the chassis of our bus. To save some money, I took it upon myself grease up the bus.  First, I had to buy a grease gun and a tube of grease.  Spartan Motors, the chassis manufacturer, specifies Premium Multi-Purpose Chassis Grease NLGI Grade 2. I purchased a tube of Lucas Oil Products Red "N "Tacky Grease in the convenient 14 oz. tube that fits inside my new grease gun.



I reviewed the owners manual to see where all the fittings were. Then, I put on my coveralls and went spelunking. Note the cool LED miners headlamp. Since I don't have a third hand to hold the flashlight in the right place, strapping this to my head is a good alternative.


Here are the fittings that grease the driveshaft splines and one of the universal joints.


Here is a grease fitting I never thought I would see. It is for the drum brake actuating shaft. I always thought that grease and brakes didn't mix, but grease and brake actuating mechanisms apparently do.



Some of you thought I was a slacker. Here is the grease fitting on top of one of the brake slack adjusters.  The air brakes on the bus automatically adjust in the proper amount of slack so the brakes don't drag.

I think I will put a LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler or one of their pistol grip grease guns are on the bus' Christmas gift list.  It would probably make the process go smoother.

I will also replace the straight fittings on top of the king pins with an angled fittings. The straight ones were difficult to get the gun on and off.

I also greased all the fittings on the front end, but I did not document the process. It seemed like there were 100 grease fittings on the bus...but Elizabeth thinks I have the gift of exaggeration.

To quote a good friend of mine:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
- Paul LaMasters

No comments:

Post a Comment