Apr 18, 2020

Hub Oil

One of the most enjoyable things in life is the last peanut from the can, overflowing with the oil and salt of its departed brothers. MMMMMMmmmmmm, that's good.

Hubs nut company makes some of the best Virginia Peanuts.


I do love to munch on them from time to time, but now I am not talking about that type of hub oil.

Our bus' steering and tag axles have oil bath bearings. I am used to the nasty job of packing grease into the front axle bearings on cars I have owned and the wheels of the pop up camper we had before the bus. Oil bath bearings are new to me.


According to the Rayco Granning service manual for my IFS1660SHC Independent Front Suspension, I have to drain and replace the SAE 80W/90 oil from the hubs once a year. We must replace the oil yearly as opposed to the 100,000 miles a year indicator.


I use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, and this fancy pump that I picked up in the automotive section of a big box store makes the job super easy.


It is a very simple job to drain the oil and refill the hub, but not as enjoyable as those Hubs Peanuts. MMMM peanuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment