Jan 23, 2021

WhizMer

Harold had a little bit of work to do at White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) south of Albuquerque.  He had told me that there was a small campground on base. I wasn't quite sure what I expected, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The eight campsites (first come, first serve) face the mountains for gorgeous views. They are full hookups at only $10/night. Count me in. I was wishing we had more time there. I liked the quiet. 

White Sands Missile Range Campsites

Once Harold finished his work, we took a day trip over to White Sands National Park. A guy leaving the park gifted us two sand sleds. That kind gesture saved a minimum of $20.  Off we went to find the dunes. We spent the next hour and a half sliding down the sand dunes. What fun! We paid it forward and handed the sleds to a family who only had one sled. 


Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WOOO HOOOO!!!



SOOOO worth it

When WSMR is active, the National Park is closed.

A stop at Pistachioland in Alamogordo yielded a photo with the world's largest pistachio and a variety of flavored pistachios, including green chile flavor. 


Back on base, we toured the missile park. It's one of the few places you can see the German V-2 (Vengeance Weapon - 2) missile from WWII. According to exhibit information, Germany focused on missile development after WWI since missiles were not covered by the Versailles Treaty.  

We were surprised by the Darth Vader Helmet on display. LucasFilms had donated it to WSMR as a token of gratitude for allowing them to capture some great sound effects.

Luke, I am your Father

V-2 Cutaway

Missile Park

Las Cruces yielded another Muffler Man photo. He was within walking distance of a big bull. So, we got a photo of the bull too. 

The armless husband and Muffler Man

El Toro, and some bull.

Harold had told me about the Double Eagle, one of his work team's favorite eating spots. The Double Eagle claims to have the world's largest green chile cheeseburger. Regrettably, it was not on the Covid-19 shortened menu, and I had to settle for a regular-sized one. Harold delighted in his dry-aged steak. Maybe we'll be able to order the world's largest green chile cheeseburger on another trip. I know I wouldn't mind another trip to WhizMer. That's a hint for any of Harold's team who reads this.  ; )

Super meals!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment