Jun 1, 2024

Golden Gate Bridge

March 30, 2024

I was an absolute basketcase. I didn't want to go anywhere near San Francisco. I had seen the Golden Gate Bridge once as a teenager and that was enough. However, Harold couldn't remember ever seeing the bridge, and I knew it was one of those things we shouldn't miss since we were only an hour away. 

After reading about the extremely limited parking at the Welcome Center "if you must drive" (as opposed to rideshare or public transit) and the vehicle break-in alerts on the websites, I was even more apprehensive. I had plotted out several other parking spots, but wondered about safety walking to the welcome center from there. 

We made it to the welcome center shortly after they opened at 9:00 a.m. We would have been there a bit earlier, but I asked Harold to completely empty the vehicle of stuff before we ventured out. We managed to get a spot after only a minute or so of waiting and paid the $1.25/15 minutes fee. We guessed an hour and that appeared to be about right for walking around the exhibits. If you want to walk across the bridge, you'll need more time.

Harold loved the exhibits and the engineering behind the building of the bridge. It was a beautiful morning and there were lots of tourists, bicyclists, joggers, and even surfers in the waters below. I finally relaxed a bit and enjoyed the visit. Still, I was even more relieved when we ventured back across the bridge, northbound out of town. We stopped at the parking area on the northside for another and last view of the bridge. 

Heading south

Collection of tolls

Alcatraz on far right


Exhibit demonstrating science behind tower height



View from Vista Point on north side

Where Are We Going Next?

1 comment: