Jan 4, 2020

$46 Engine Oil Change


Did I say $46 oil change? I meant to say $46 oil filter.  That’s right, I just ordered the oil filter for The Beast, and it set me back $46. That is more than what it usually costs to buy the oil and filter to maintain one of our cars, and that is using a premium filter and full synthetic oil...  I won’t be putting synthetic oil in The Beast as the oil will be changed on an annual basis. We will never put the 25,000 miles on her in a year, which is the mileage service interval for dinosaur oil according to Cummins.

The Cummins Fleetguard LF14000NN oil filter has 2-in-1 media technology, meaning it has a layer of media that removes the larger particles. Then the oil goes through a second media that removes smaller, fine particles to prevent long-term engine wear.  It is like having a normal full-flow filter and a bypass filter built into one filter housing.  The LF1400NN has all synthetic fibers in the media, so it catches more dirt and doesn’t clog as easy as traditional filter media.

LF1400NN next to the oil filter that fits both our Honda Odyssey and Accord
 
Here is the business end of the two filters

The Honda filter holds about one pint of oil, while the LF1400NN holds a full gallon of oil.

Luckily for me a previous owner installed a Femco oil drain valve on The Beast’s engine oil pan. It makes the task a little easier, note I did not say easy, just easier.  I like the Femco design over the Fumoto design as it is a dual seal system. The valve seals and then the dust cap seals.

Femco oil drain valve

The Femco oil drain valve replaces the normal drain plug and has the handy hose that screws on to the valve to both open it and direct the flow into the container of my choice for easy recycling of the used oil.

Did I mention that The Beast’s engine takes eleven and a half gallons (forty-six quarts) of oil when we change it?  The normal passenger car takes only four to five quarts.  I have to go shopping for oil before I can change it in The Beast. I never imagined that I would go to Tractor Supply to buy a shopping cart full of engine oil.  I have to get the oil changed as part of winterizing her for the last time as we go full time RVing next spring!!!!! WOOO HOOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment