May 13, 2020

Kites squared

While visiting Elizabeth's cousin in Indiana I made a "Square Incher" kite for the youngest member of the family.  Here she is flying it in in the showroom at Showalter RV.



It is called a "Square Incher" as it has exactly one square inch of sail area.  It is actually that small.

A couple of days later, the weather had warmed up. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon, and we decided to fly a kite at the home.  Here is most of the family enjoying the slow pace and sunshine. Note the kite at the top of the photo.




To tend the kite, I hooked the lightest and youngest member of the family into a strap. She put some effort into pulling the kite when the wind slacked off. Enough so that she noted her arms hurt the next day. 






When she got tired, one of the family dogs tried to help too.






It was finally time to bring the kite in.




The kite is a Premier Kites 19 foot delta.  it is 19 feet across the back of the kite and it is 9 feet 4 inches tall. I want to thank my friend Jim Cosca for introducing me to this kite and assisting me in my purchasing decision...

For comparison between the two kites the Delta has 12,768 square inches of surface area.... but unlike the "Square Incher,"it does not fit in a pocket.














No comments:

Post a Comment