Jan 14, 2023

Pakahn, PeeCan - Yum!

While sitting at Mike's Collision Center, we noticed several employees picking something off the ground. Apparently it wasn't trash because they were folding the bottom of their shirts to make pockets. So on the weekend, Harold checked it out. They were picking up pecans. When Mike came by on Monday, he said we could help ourselves. That's good since we had already picked some and made a pie. 

After almost rubbing our fingers raw shelling the first batch, we decided that despite being a single-use item we wouldn't use much, a nutcracker was in order. It sure did make the next batch go easier on our fingers.

We repaid Mike and crew with a dozen pecan cookies and a pecan pie. We tried our hand at glazed cinnamon pecans using our popcorn popper. Our popcorn popper plate required a little soaking afterwards, but I'm ready to do it again. Yum!

So far we've shelled and roasted 24 cups of pecans. As I write this, Harold has brought in another couple of pounds to shell. Guess we'd better get busy... 

The links will take you to the recipes we used. As to proper pronunciation, we'll leave that alone. To borrow a phrase from sports fans, even we're a house divided. 😂


One of two trees in the lot

Part of the haul


Breakfast is ready


Oh, and we ended up with something like 32 cups of shelled pecans. 

Where Are We Going Next?

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious-Brian M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird story time: In college, my best friend was from Georgia, and sometimes he would bring pecans back to school with him. Inevitably, there would be the pacahn/pee-can discussion. Knowing I was from the Northern Neck (Google it) and that I talked weird already, he accepted the fact that I pronounced it "peak-uns". Think of it like an abbreviated "peak ones". I also convinced him that everyone from there said it this way. This went on, until dozens of people had heard this story, and it was being retold whenever pecans were served in any form. People seemed to enjoy that an obscure group of people pronounced it in a weird way that no one else had heard, and especially that the teller of the story was introducing this fact to everyone else. After a few months, I let my friend in on the fiction. I kept it up for about 30 years, until I started to let other folks know I had been jerking their chain. I've even had the story come back to me, with folks asking if people from the Northern Neck actually talked this way. If you've heard about peak-uns, just know that I made that crap up in 1984 or so. There's a lot of weird things in the Northern Neck, but peak-uns aren't one.

    ReplyDelete