Jan 21, 2023

Venus Flytrap

Do you think of WKRP in Cincinnati or Little Shop of Horrors when you hear 'venus flytrap'? I admit the refrain from the opening song to Little Shop of Horrors comes to my mind almost immediately. What I did not realize is that the venus flytrap is native to the marshy area of NC and SC. Carolina Beach State Park is home to the plants. Considered vulnerable, it's a felony to poach one from public lands.

One afternoon we took a stroll along the Flytrap Trail at the park. We were unsuccessful in our attempts to see venus flytraps along that path. The plant is not in bloom in November - imagine that! The ranger directed us to the visitor center where staff were busy putting in some venus flytraps and other carnivorous plants, such as pitcher plants, along a developing wheelchair accessible walk. What a fun, unexpected find the park was for us. 


small in size

pitcher plant

pitcher plant and venus flytrap



Where Are We Going Next?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I had no idea any of these plants were native to the Carolinas. I do know they're hard to grow. I've had some Venus Flytrap seeds in a window planter since November, and nothing yet! And oh yeah, I think of WKRP. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to take a weekend trip sometime.

    ReplyDelete