May 1, 2021

Thrown under the bus, correction, trailer

Credit to Merle Haggard.

Big wheel's rollin'; Big wheel's rollin', movin' on.

Big wheel's rollin'; gotta keep 'em goin'.

Big wheel's rollin', movin' on.

Movin' on, yeah.

 Elizabeth's cousin Steve needed a little help. He had just a few hours to get a few RVs from the manufacturer's lot in Goshen to his lot in Nappanee.  It was about 22 miles each way. It was TRIAL BY FIRE for me. 

Up to this point, the largest trailer I have pulled was our 2001 Coleman Utah popup camper that was 25'9" long, 7'5" wide and weighed in at a hefty 2500 Lbs.

Steve handed me the keys to Junelle's white pickup and asked me to move two of the seven trailers for him. I thought I would be towing a travel trailer or two but boy was I wrong. He jumped in his black pickup truck with his friend Larry, and it was off to the races.

 I had never hooked up a 5th wheel, so I had Steve connect up to the first load.


First one.

The first one was the biggest of the two - a Keystone Alpine 3700FL. Its specs are 41.42 ft. long, 8 feet wide, 13.33 ft tall and 13,793 lbs. empty.....


Second one still hooked up.

The second one was a Keystone Cougar 368MBI. It was petite by comparison at 39.33 ft. long, 8 feet wide, 12.58 ft. tall and only 11,695 lbs. empty.....

 These photos were taken the next morning at Steve's lot. We were in too big of a hurry to get them moved by the "Get 'Em Off Our Lot" deadline.

 We started the haul at 8:30 p.m. So, I was driving an unfamiliar vehicle, pulling the largest trailer I have ever pulled, at night, on unfamiliar roads, doooing my best to keep Steve's trailer lights in sight so I would not lose my way.

 Did I mention that Steve treats those signs on the side of the road with large numbers as a suggestion, NOT a law? We were flying low.  I am so glad I did not have to pay the governor's velocity tax as it would have been painful.

 Well, it was quite an evening of entertainment. I did have to remember that all the best stories in life come from saying "Yes.".

I felt like Will Chandler chasing Sonny Pruitt, or just like those guys in NASCAR chasing ol' #43 around the track. I could never catch up.....

No comments:

Post a Comment